Workers protest for not being paid out Social Security Benefits
Several hundred workers at a US$400 million construction project protested on January 19, 2021 in Yangon, for late wages and not being paid the social security allowances, despite their monthly contribution to the Government's social security scheme.
Myanmar social security scheme is implemented by the Social Security Board which was established under the Social Security Act of 1954. In 2012, the Social Security Law was enacted to implement
- Health and Social Care Insurance System
- Family Assistance Insurance System
- Invalidity Benefit, Superannuation Pension Benefit and Survivors’ Benefit Insurance System
- Unemployment Benefit Insurance System
- Other Social Security System.