The virtual meeting was initiated by , the Institution de Coordination de l’Assurance Maladie Obligatoire (ICAMO).
The aim was to equip journalists with the knowledge they need to understand the key concepts and challenges of compulsory health insurance, so that they can better inform the public.
Three presentations were made. They covered the following themes :
- the national strategy for universal health coverage ;
- the legal framework of compulsory health insurance (AMO) ;
- ICAMO ;
- the AMO program to combat social evasion.
The presentations were followed by lively discussions. At the end of the event, the following key messages were launched by ICAMO’s General Manager:
- CSS, IPRES and IPM are governed by the same reference text (law 75-50 of April 3, 1975) and have the same status as social welfare institutions ;
- these three types of institutions manage the compulsory social security scheme for workers ;
- the employer’s obligation to affiliate workers to CSS and IPRES is the same for affiliation to an IPM ;
- all permanent employees are subject to compulsory membership of an MPI, including managers ;
- any other form of health risk cover for the same workers can only be complementary to the basic MPI scheme.
Source: P4H focal point